Glaisdale,Whitby North Yorkshire - Glaisdale, Whitby, Yorkshire holidays, North Yorkshire, England, UK
Glaisdale village close to Whitby, North Yorkshire,UK,Yorkshire
Accommodation in Whitby Places of Interest in Whitby Places of Interest near to Whitby   Link Partners to Whitby
         
Hotels Bram Stoker Bridlington   Property For Sale in Whitby
Guest houses Captain James Cook Filey   Villa Holiday Rentals
Apartments Captain William Scoresby Glaisdale   Link Partners
Cottages Dracula Goathland   Weather
Restaurants Frank Meadow Sutcliffe Grosmont   SiteMap
Home Page Pannett Park Lealholm   Add Your URL
  Whitby Abbey Visitor Centre N.Y.M.Railway    
  Whitby Museum Pickering    
  Whitby Resort Robin Hoods Bay    
  Whitby Abbey - St Hilda Scarborough    
  Whitby Pictures Staithes    
  Whitby Tourist Information York    
 
 

Glaisdale

Whitby North Yorkshire Moors

 
 
 
 

 

 

Village of Glaisdale

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

Village of Glaisdale

 

 

 

 

 

 
 


Glaisdale:

Glaisdale is a village and civil parish in the Scarborough district of North Yorkshire, England. It lies on the River Esk, between the villages of Lealholm and Egton Bridge, 8 miles  west of Whitby, and is served by Glaisdale railway station on the Esk Valley Line. The village lies on the national hiking trail the Esk Valley Walk. According to the 2001 UK census, Glaisdale parish had a population of 974. In 1831 Glaisdale was a parochial township in the parish of Danby, of which, however, it is now entirely independent. There is no fixed boundary between the two places, but an arrangement was made about 1870 by which the line of division runs south from the undivided moor north of Oakley Walls through Howlsyke to the Esk up Fryup Beck to within half a mile of Woodhead Farm; it then strikes further south-west. 

Glaisdale township contains the hamlets of Lealholm Bridge, Howlsyke, Green Houses, Stonegate and part of Great Fryup.
The name of Glaisdale Moor occurs in 1223, but no township or hamlet of Glaisdale is noticed during the Middle Ages.
Glaisdale is one of the many small valleys formed by the streams that flow from north and south to the River Esk. All these streams descend through the districts known respectively as their Head and their Dale to their End at their junction with the Esk. From the south Danby, Little Fryup and Great Fryup Becks descend from Danby High Moor, about 1,300 ft. above the ordnance datum. Then follows Glaisdale Beck, which rises on Glaisdale Moor, at a height of 1,100 ft. above ordnance datum, and flows north through Glaisdale Head and Dale to the village of Glaisdale End.

Through the erection in about 1864 of iron furnaces, now dismantled, Glaisdale End was transformed from a scattered hamlet into a closely built and populous village. Its High Street leads from the vicarage and church at the south to the Green on the north. Glaisdale Hall, a farm, lies to the west, and to the south is the once haunted farm of Hart Hall. Here visited a beneficent Hob, who rendered mysterious aid in the fields to the husbandman until he was driven away by a well-meant gift from the grateful farm-hands.  From the north the Esk is joined in Danby and Glaisdale parishes by Commondale Beck, part of the western boundary of Danby, Ewe Crag Beck which enters it at Dale or Danby End, Clither Beck which flows by Doubting Castle, Park Head Beck which joins it at Lealholm Bridge, a hamlet three-quarters of a mile west of Lealholm Hall, and finally by Hardale Beck. Hardale Beck forms part of the northern and, with Glaisdale Beck, the eastern boundary of the parish, passing beside those hamlets under the names of Green Houses Beck and Stonegate Beck, and joining the Esk at Hole Trough Bridge by Rake Wath. The wooded valley of the Esk west of Lealholm is called Crunkley Gill.

There were five mediaeval stone bridges over the Esk, three in Danby, one in Glaisdale and the fifth near Sleights station, the earliest dated from about 1286 and all were built beside a previous wath or ford.  At the point where Glaisdale Beck enters the Esk is the Glaisdale 'Beggar's Bridge.' The original 14th-century bridge here had probably disappeared by 1577. The present structure bears the date 1619 and the initials T.F. for Thomas Ferris (Ferries, Firris), an alderman of Hull, the traditional builder. According to some accounts Ferris was a poor native of Egton or Danby; according to others he came into the district as a tramp. Saved by stepping-stones at this point when crossing the stream in a time of flood, he vowed that if ever he were able to afford it he would build a bridge as a token of gratitude. The bridge was called 'Ferris Bridge' in 1676.

Beggars Bridge in the village of Glaisdale                   

 

 




Beggars Bridge, Glaisdale
 
Almost next to the station is Beggar's Bridge, the famous packhorse bridge built by Thomas Ferries in 1619, an ancient pannierway, made of stone trods, passes up through Arncliffe Woods.
The Legend of Beggar’s Bridge is an independent short film produced by Eboracum Pictures of York. This endearing folktale tells of the poor Ferris, a poor man from the village of Glaisdale who hoped to wed the daughter of a wealthy local squire. In order to win her hand, he planned to set sail from Whitby to make his fortune. On the night that he left, the Esk was swollen with rainfall and he was unable to make a last visit to his intended. He eventually returned from his travels a rich man and after marrying the squire's daughter, built Beggar's Bridge so that no other lovers would be separated as they were, those many years ago. The small settlement of Carr End is next to the station. The main village of Glaisdale is a mile away. Like the village of Grosmont, in the nineteenth century Glaisdale was an ironstone-mining village, similarly recognisable by its terraces of slate-roofed cottages.

 

Cyprus Villa Holidays in Paphos
 
whitby
Last up dated 01.01.2017 
design by EasyWebs 1998.
Whitby Hotels
All contents copyrighted.